Thursday, February 26, 2009

Curiosity kindled

A few months ago, I was tempted to get myself a Kindle, Amazon's ebook reader. I saw the price tag of just over USD 300 well worth it to optimize shelf space at home and further domestic harmony.

But then I read stories on the Internet of how the ebook reader market was still nascent, there was more to come, and so on. I felt my research about the rival product offered by Sony was inadequate. So I deferred my decision to buy.

Now the Kindle 2.0 is out, launched by Jeff Bezos of Amazon and Stephen King, who has written 'UR', a novella which will be available first on the Kindle 2.0. Kindle works wirelessly in USA. In Europe, it works with the Internet. It is yet to be launched in Asia, and there is some confusion if the Kindle will work in our continent at all.

The Economist has a couple of informative stories about it in the Feb 12th issue. Go to www.economist.com and search for 'Kindle'. For a practical view of the whole thing, visit http://www.pcworld.com/article/159926/costjustifying_the_kindle_2.html, a blog on PC World by James Martin.

As for me I think I'll wait for the Kindle 3.0. But I doubt if it can be a substitute for a plush, leather-bound volume of Alice in Wonderland I am reading right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews